Friday, October 27, 2017

Trout-October

I know in 6th grade Red we talk a lot about grades and what they signify. We tend to agree that we should not be grading kids based on their ability to follow our directions, which I think happens a lot. The video made me think about moving on before skills are learned and switching the emphasis to the kids learning at their own pace.

I try to do this in my class through self-paced units. One question I have is how do you balance the end-of-the-quarter deadline? I believe that if a kid learns how to add decimals on the 2nd day of school or the last it shouldn't really matter, but I'm trying to figure out how to balance/organize that throughout the year with that many students and also how to deal with  the mandated "cut-off" dates for grading periods.

One thing I am thinking about is utilizing smaller quizzes rather than large tests and basing them more on individual skills. I also love the idea of having a tool for kids to be able to track their mastery of skills throughout the year but I have not been able to dig into this much yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.