How did the resources, prompts and discussion shape your thinking, encourage change, or validate what you were already doing in your classroom?
Thursday, October 19, 2017
Drummond discussing September Talks Building Positive Relationships
After reading the articles and listening to the video by Rita Pierson from this summer PD, I decided to make it a priority to involve my students in the classroom behavior contract. I had them share how they wanted to be treated and how to treat others etc. I composed a consolidated positive list of behaviors no NO or Don't words and have hung it at the front of my room. I make it a priority to greet every student at the door and have them engage with me in the Target language I teach (Spanish). I focus on the soft skills (eye contact, clear voice, engaging with body, etc.). I also started something new here that I have done before and that is a Praise and concern journal that I get the students to give input for and can write in. Some of the concerns and praises are: Hurricane victims, Wild fire victims in California, A new family adopting a child in dance program. A sick animal in a family that is recovering from surgery. I also share my personal stories about when I was a student of Spanish and challenges I had as well as stories about my children and my goals and outings such as training for a marathon, mountain bike riding with my family. I do High Fives or handshakes too and that physical touch does make an impact. After my experience as a teacher over several years, the old adage is SO TRUE: Nobody cares how much you know until they know HOW MUCH YOU CARE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.