- The thing that stands out to me the most about the importance of teacher-student relationships is the mood in the classroom. My most successful students are in classes where the atmosphere is generally nice, accepting, easy to get kids working and learning. It is quite the opposite performance wise in my classes where students do not get settle right away and contain individuals who deliberately attention seek at all points in time. I try to stand at my door and fist bump every student as a greeting. It really sets the tone for the class. Additionally, when I can get my entire class around one big table, it really changes the tone of the lesson. It makes it relaxed and inviting, but the kids know we are in for some deep hard work and no one will be able to hide, but I will really be there to help them move forward.
- I found the following excerpts to be interesting.
Another shift I started last year in an effort to create a more discussion and inquiry based math classroom was how I asked students to share their answers. I used to just say ‘who has the answer’ or ‘who can tell us how to do this problem.’ I’ve since shifted to asking students ‘can you share your thinking.’ It’s so much less pressure to just share your thinking than it is to explain the right answer. Additionally, even if a student has the right answer, it’s much more meaningful to delve into the thought processes to getting that answer.
I too have shifted to doing this in my classes. It helps pull in students who do not always volunteer to share in class and excellent class discussion has often been the result. I love this technique.
A typical centering goes as follows:
I ask students to sit up straight and either close their eyes or rest their gaze down at the table. Just wanting to limit the visual input. We will begin to take slow, deep breaths together. In through our nose and out our mouth. I will have students (and myself) bring all their focus to the feeling of the air as it passes through our noses. For me, the part that’s easiest to focus on is the nerves on the tip of my nostrils. I remind them (and myself) that if they find their mind wandering of things that they’re worried about or a to-do list, to become aware that their focus has shifted and just bring it right back to paying attention to their breathe. We will continue this for maybe a minute or two and then I ask them to just return their attention back to the room and we begin class.
Wow! What an interesting way to get the students to focus! I learned this years ago and often fall back on when I need to focus or calm myself down when highly stressed. It does work and I'd like to try this
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.