What does a grade in your class reflect?
(mastery, following procedures, responsibility, completion...). How well do
grades in your classroom reflect student learning?
What does a grade in your class
reflect? (mastery, following procedures, responsibility, completion...). How
well do grades in your classroom reflect student learning?
After reviewing the lessons this month and having several conversations with colleagues
it has been very helpful in furthering my thinking about assessments. I have
always believed that formative assessment needs to happen often for students to
grow and it truly gives a chance to check what information needs to be
retaught. Unfortunately because of time most assessment ends up being summative
as was noted in one of the readings. This is not helpful because there was not
check for understanding along the way.
This year I have truly taken the time to check student learning often before a summative
assessment is given. I have even stopped my lessons and moved tests back a bit
to be sure students understand. In times past when I did not do this I would find myself often disappointed in student progress after reviewing test scores. I honestly think that if we had more time and we could check often and check early and this would help tremendously in giving authentic assessments.
I really liked how the article about misunderstandings about grading also talked about the fact that most assessments are for a grade. What's behind a grade truly varies from
assignment to assignment. In teaching grading is often an area where I feel
torn. Some assignments are merely to check to make sure students can complete
work in a timely manner then we review them together later to further
understanding. Other grades are truly to determine how much a student has
learned from a unit of study. Should both be of equal value on the grading
scale? I do not know. This is something that has conflicted me for a
long time. I truly do believe that
grades should reflect a combination of student knowledge, effort, and
responsibility.
I am glad that we are having these
conversations about grades. After reading over the blog submissions, having
these discussions, and reviewing the sources I can see that there is a lot of inconsistencies
among educators about what is truly within a grade. I think that the more we
learn, the more we will learn and become of like minds on this issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.